Cow Pose (Bitilasana)
- Start on your hands and knees in a tabletop position, with neutral, flat spine. Your knees are directly below your hips, and your hands are below your shoulders. Your head is in line with your spine, with your eyes looking at the floor.
- Inhale and lift your sitting bones and chest toward the ceiling, allowing your belly to drop toward the floor. Lift up your head so you’re looking forward. [photo]
- Exhale and come back to the neutral tabletop position on hands and knees. Repeat several times.
- This pose is wonderful paired with Cat Pose on the exhale for a gentle, flowing vinyasa (breath-synchronized movement).
Cow Pose (Bitilasana) benefits:
- Improves posture and balance
- Stretches the front torso and neck
- Stretches the hips and abdomen
- Increases coordination
- Massages and stimulates organs in the belly, like the kidneys and adrenal glands
- Creates emotional balance
- Relieves stress and calms the mind
Cow Pose (Bitilasana) cautions and tips:
- If you have neck pain or an injury, keep the head in line with the torso.
- Broaden across your shoulder blades and draw your shoulders down, away from your ears.
See the dropdown menu for more yoga poses.